In preparation for the Safe Playgrounds Launch on August 14th, the Philadelphia Union Foundation held a Neighborhood Meet and Greet at Showalter Middle School. In conjunction with the City of Chester and the Chester-Upland School District, the Meet and Greet gathered neighbors in Chester and talked about taking back playgrounds in the area and making them safe. The gathering was a huge success with many public figures in attendance:
- Chester Mayor - John Linder
- State Representative - Thaddeus Kirkland
- Chester Community Liaisons - Nicole Cogdell & Jonathan “Rahim” King
- Chester Councilwoman Portia West
- Chester Councilwoman Elizabeth Williams
- District Attorney for Delaware County – Jack Whelan
- Philadelphia Union, VP of Community Affairs – Rick Jacobs
- Philadelphia Union, Manager of Community Affairs – Leah Moore
- Chester City United Founder - Pat Trippley
- Showalter Community Partners
The Foundation continues to make an impact on the places they visit. They were able to create a safety line painted on the streets adjacent to the playground and paint the no parking signs. There will be big changes around the playground in the near future with the installation of three new street lights shining on the park, a new park entrance, newly featured slow down signs and a regular landscaping schedule.
Interested in attending our Safe Playgrounds Launch?
Date: August 14, 2014
Time: 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
Location: Showalter School- 1100 W. 10 Street, Chester, PA