Philadelphia Drops U.S. Open Cup Qualifier

Loss marks second to RBNY in four days

Harrison, NJ (April 27, 2010) – Just three days after Philadelphia
dropped a league match 2-1 to New York, the Union suffered another 2-1
defeat at Red Bull Arena in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup qualifying
round, eliminating the Union from the tournament. Connor Ching scored
both of New York’s goals, with Sebastien Le Toux netting Philadelphia’s
only tally before being carried off the field on a stretcher. 

“We have to work on many things,” Team
Manager Peter Nowak said after the match. “Of course we’re concerned
about (Le Toux’s) health, but there are more things to work on over the
next couple days, (including the) overall team mentality. 

probably has an MCL sprain, but this is probable and we have to run the
tests tomorrow to see what the verdict is going to be. I can’t tell you
right now, it’s too early. He feels some pain, we’ll see how the
swelling is going to come. He just got hit in (a) stationary (position)
and his (left) leg actually got shifted to the right. It was a late
play, that’s why (Andrew Boyens) got the yellow. (Le Toux) already
played the ball and then got kicked."

New York nearly struck
first on a one-touch shot by Siniso Ubiparipovic in the penalty area,
but Shea Salinas deflected the point blank attempt. Chinn made up for
the missed opportunity in the 16th minute, putting the home side up 1-0.
Chinn's first attempt to knock home Brian Nielsen's deflected shot was
stopped by goalkeeper Chris Seitz, but the rebound fell perfectly at
Chinn's feet near the edge of the six-yard box for an easy finish.

New York consistently created more chances
in the first half, converting again in the 41st minute on Chinn’s second
tally of the night. Luke Sassano’s cross from the left wing found Chinn
darting into the box, and the rookie striker beat Seitz into the lower
right corner of the net for the brace and a 2-0 New York advantage.

The second half began much like the first
half started, with Chinn nearly registering a hat trick in the 55th
minute. A timely deflection from Seitz just before Chinn could get a
foot on Sinisa Ubiparipovic’s cross in front of the goal kept the Union
in the match.

After coming on as a second half
substitution, Le Toux ignited the Union’s offense. In the 68th minute, a
cross from Cristian Arrieta from the right flank found a streaking Le
Toux, who got just enough of the ball to beat goalkeeper Greg Sutton to
bring Philadelphia within a goal at 2-1.

Le Toux didn't finish
the match, however, after coming off with an injury in the 82nd minute.
Having made all four subs already, the Union were forced to play the
remainder of the match down a man.

The disadvantage would
prove costly, with Philadelphia unable to equalize despite pressuring
New York often during the final minutes. The club’s best chance to draw
even came mid-way through extra time, but Alejandro Moreno’s toe-poke
from the penalty spot went just wide.

The Union will look to
get back on track after their third straight loss when they take on the
LA Galaxy on Saturday night at the Home Depot Center. The match can be
seen on the Live Well HD Network at 10:30 p.m. ET.

Scoring Summary: 

NY – Conor Chinn (Unassisted) 16

NY – Conon Chinn (Luke Sassano, Sinisa
Ubiparipovic) 41

PHI – Sebastien Le Toux
(Cristian Arrieta) 68

Philadelphia Union --
Chris Seitz; Shea Salinas, Michael Orozco, Danny Califf (C), Toni Stahl
(Cristian Arrieta 45); Roger Torres (Alejandro Moreno 45), Andrew
Jacobson, Amobi Okugo, Nick Zimmerman (Stefani Miglioranzi 45); Danny
Mwanga, Jack McInerney (Sebastien Le Toux) 64

Not Used: 
Fred, Jordan Harvey, Brad Knighton


New York Red Bulls –- Greg
Sutton; Luke Sassano, Carlos Mendes (Chris Albright 45), Andrew Boyens,
Danleigh Borman; Siniso Ubiparipovic (Irving Garcia 83), Seth Stammler
(C), Tony Tchani, Brian Nielsen (Austin da Luz 58); Juan Agudelo, Conor

Substitutes Not
: Bouna Coundoul, Tim Ream TOTAL SHOTS: 18;

Misconduct Summary:
PHI – Andrew Jacobson (Caution, Hard Tackle)
NY – Danleigh Borman (Caution, Hard Tackle)
PHI – Stefani Miglioranzi (Caution, Hard
Tackle) 76
NY – Andrew Boyens (Caution, Hard Tackle)

Referee: Andrew Chapin
Referee's Assistants: Brian Dunn, Edwin
4th Official: Mark Geiger
Attendance: 3,015