Daily Doop: Working for the weekend, Atoms tribute and Union Day
It’s Friday, the end of the work week for most but it’s our Thursday here at philadelphiaunion.com.
That doesn’t mean we still can’t get a kick out of this meme that came across the Philadelphia Union (@PhilaUnion) Twitter feed this morning.
— HFU Admissions (@HFUAdmissions) August 9, 2013
Anyway, we get you set for Saturday’s match and beyond with a roundup of what’s going on this weekend, kicking off with:
1. Records don’t matter. That’s the take of Union writer Andy Jasner (@andyjasner) who provides this preview ahead of Saturday’s match at PPL Park against D.C. United (8 p.m., purchase tickets). United comes to PPL Park winning just three matches in league play all season, but are in the finals of the U.S. Open Cup. Nestled in Jasner’s story is a piece we did a few months back on the seething dislike between these two clubs always setting the stage for a great matchup. Read more.
2. Honoring the past. The Union will honor the 1973 NASL champion Atoms team during halftime of tomorrow’s match, but for those that weren’t around or can't quite remember when the Atoms were soccer’s version of a Cinderella team, Atoms great and former Union analyst Bob Rigby recalls a season that he referred to simply as “storybook.” Oh, and FYI…Rigby provides gems in this piece. Read more.
3. Atoms tribute caravan continues. Along with philadelphiaunion.com the guys over at Philly Soccer Page (@phillysoccerpg) kick off their tribute with a two-part series from historian Steve Holroyd (@section107RowA) that you must check out. Holroyd not only looks at the Atoms place in Philadelphia’s soccer landscape, but the landscape at the time. Great read. Read more.
4. Breaking down D.C. Is exactly what Union writer Kevin Kinkead (@PhilUnionKevinK) does in this Scouting Report. One cool thing Kinkead does each week is provide what is a probable starting lineup for the opposition – it’s a rare thing for him to be not spot on. Read more.
5. Previews and stuff. Catch Union manager John Hackworth and various players talking Saturday’s match. View video.
6. Couple of announcements. Just a reminder that Sunday is Union Day in South Philly at the Capitolo Playground (9th and Passyunk Sts.). Come learn from Union players and coaches. In our last session in Northeast Philadelphia, our coaches discovered a player who is now in our U18 academy. Life changing stuff. Could your kid be next?
Party on the Plaza tomorrow pregame; music, food, games all good things.
Hope to you see you all out.
Contact Union writer Kerith Gabriel at firstname.lastname@example.org