Eight Philadelphia Union standouts were nominated by members of the media to represent Major League Soccer as an All-Star in August. This year's installment will find a collection of MLS’ best against European powerhouse Bayern Munich on Aug. 6 at 9:30 p.m. ET (ESPN2, UniMas, TSN, RDS) from Providence Park, home of the Portland Timbers.
The eight Union players selected for fan voting which opens Wednesday, May 28 are:
- Zac MacMath (goalkeeper)
- Ray Gaddis (defender)
- Amobi Okugo (defender)
- Sheanon Williams (defender)
- Maurice Edu (midfielder)
- Cristian Maidana (midfielder)
- Vincent Nogueira (midfielder)
- Sebastien Le Toux (forward)
A total of 32 All-Stars are named each year, per the collective bargaining agreement. Media, fans, players, the All-Star coach and MLS Commissioner Don Garber all contribute in the All-Star selection process.
The 32 players named 2014 AT&T MLS All-Stars will be selected in four phases:
1. Ballot creation: Media members determined the field of players – eight players per team – who are most deserving of consideration for this year’s AT&T MLS All-Star Game. Those players are eligible for fan voting.
2. Fan voting: From May 28 through July 11, fans will select the “Fan XI” All-Stars. Fans can vote via any of three platforms:
- At MLSsoccer.com: vote for your starting lineup of 11 players, beginning May 28
- Via Twitter: from July 2 at 9 a.m. ET until July 6 at 11:59 p.m. ET; full details of Twitter voting will be released on MLSsoccer.com in the near future
- Via the AT&T / EA SPORTS “More than a Vote” Challenge: fans will score as many goals as possible with their favorite MLS All-Star forward candidate in FIFA 14, with one goal equaling one vote. The forward with the most votes will occupy one of the forward spots on the All-Star Fan XI.
3. Team selection: The MLS All-Star head coach will select the game day roster from the pool of eligible players, consisting of the Fan XI, MLS Commissioner Don Garber’s two selections and players who received votes from at least two players.
Note: The Commissioner selections and game day roster will be announced on July 19 or 21.
4. Player selections: MLS players will determine the remainder of the 32 All-Stars named annually per the CBA (known as the “inactive roster”).
Note: The final list of 32 All-Stars (four goalkeepers, eight defenders, 13 midfielders and seven forwards) will be announced on MLSsoccer.com on August 6.
The timeline going forward for voting for the 2014 MLS All-Star game is as follows:
May 28: Fan voting begins
July 2-6: Fan voting (Twitter window)
July 11: Fan voting closes
July 16: Fan XI unveiled
July 19-21: Game day roster and Commissioner’s picks announced
Aug. 6: MLS All-Stars vs. Bayern Munich at Providence Park at 9:30 p.m. ET (ESPN2, UniMas, TSN, RDS)