The Philadelphia Union added another piece to their puzzle on Tuesday afternoon, acquiring midfielder Jamiro Monteiro from FC Metz from Ligue 2.
Here are some fast facts about the Union’s newest player:
- Monteiro was born in Rotterdam, Netherlands but has international experience with Cape Verde. His latest call-up with Tubarões Azuis (the Blue Sharks) came last September against Lesotho.
- While Monteiro is only 25 years old, he has over 90 appearances in professional sports with stops at Camburr (2015-17), Heracles Almelo (2017-18) and FC Metz.
- Monteiro comes in at 5’7”, the same height as Union teammates Fabinho and Marco Fabián.
- Monteiro’s nickname is “Lutador” which means warrior or fighter. Monteiro uses the nickname so that fans know that he is a player that never gives up.
- The deal is structured as a four-month loan through June including a Union option to both extend the loan through the 2019 MLS season as well as an additional Union option to then buy. Targeted Allocation Money was used as part of the transaction.