Missed the Daily Doop?
We did too. So we’ve decided to bring it back – just a bit differently than you grew accustomed to.
Instead, this new and improved model will be a rundown of latest news and events you may have missed on philadelphiaunion.com. We understand things can get lost in the shuffle, especially on a Monday…or a Tuesday…or a, well you get the point…so we break it all down in one tight package.
Because we strive to make sure you once again sound like a champ at the water cooler.
Like the new system? Think of something we missed or should add? Leave us a comment below.
1. Thick of it all. You’ve heard that cliché and its one that perfectly describes the Union’s current position in the East standings after a wild weekend across the Eastern Conference. In this article, philadelphiaunion.com writer Kevin Kinkead (@philUnionKevinK) examines the club’s current seat and how the loss against Chicago helped the Fire more than it hurt the Union. With that even said, Union manager John Hackworth perhaps said it best: "I think this was a huge missed opportunity.” Read more
2. With that being said… Union writer Andy Jasner (@andyjasner) wrote the Union must use their 2-1 loss to the Fire as fuel to beat up on rival D.C. United, this Saturday’s opponent at PPL Park (8 p.m., purchase tickets). Jasner spoke with Union captain Brian Carroll whose quote surmised the sentiments of the locker room right now: “It’s a tough one to swallow because we didn’t start as well as we wanted to. We played catch up [soccer] for much of the game. In a way, it’s tough to swallow but you have to move on. This next game against D.C. is even more magnified and important now. We have to start focusing on that one and not let this one carry over to that one." Read more
3. Good for your heart. Union strength coach Kevin Miller posted latest blog post is a must read. Inside, Miller discusses “Heart Rate Circuit Training” and the benefits it provides not just for pro athletes, but for the athlete in all of us. You can also read Miller each week as part of a panel of experts on Philly.com Health via their Sports Docs blog series. Read more
4. Kids in the Park. Last month, a group of kids from Los Angeles were treated as kings for a weekend courtesy of the Philadelphia Union Foundation and Union midfielder Michael Lahoud. Check out this article and video vignette of their experience. Read more
5. Breaking it down. The video department continues to churn out great content and the latest is a slam dunk. In addition to the “Five in Five” series with host Heather Mitts, the crew unveiled “The Tape Room” featuring former Union forward and current color analyst Alejandro Moreno (@15AleMoreno). In the pilot episode, Moreno catches up with Sebastien Le Toux (@sebastienletoux), who has gone back to being true to form for the Union, currently leading the league in assists and is tied for third on the team in goals (three). View here
6. Couple of announcements. Conor Casey will be Tuesday’s guest on the “The 90th Minute.” The show sponsored by Farmers Insurance, will take place live from Chickie’s and Pete’s in South Philadelphia beginning at 6 p.m….Also check out our Contests and Promotions page as there is still time to nominate our Turkey Hill All-Star of the Week; more information...Lastly, Union Day is back and this time it's on Sunday in South Philly at Capitolo Playground (9th and Passyunk St.). Our last two Union Day outings were great successes. In fact, the second one in Northeast Philadelphia aided us in discovering a player quality enough to join our Union youth academy. Story on that player to come. For now, check out our revamped Academy site and more on Union Day via the Fan Events section of the site. Read more
Contact Union digital editor Kerith Gabriel at firstname.lastname@example.org