The Philadelphia Union kicked off the 2023 MLS season with a 4-1 win against Columbus Crew Saturday evening at Subaru Park. Columbus took the lead in the 28th minute with an own goal by defender Jakob Glesnes. The Union responded in first half stoppage time when midfielder Dániel Gazdag put away a penalty kick to level the score in the 45+3 minute. Captain Alejandro Bedoya assisted forward Julián Carranza, who scored in the 52nd minute to give the Union the lead. In the 72nd minute, midfielder Dániel Gazdag converted a penalty kick, setting a two-goal lead over the Crew. Forward Julián Carranza put the game away in the 80th minute with his second goal of the match, assisted by midfielder Joaquín Torres. Joaquín Torres picked up his first assist representing the Union, ultimately creating and securing the Union’s 4-1 win over Columbus Crew.
The Union travel to DRV PNK Stadium to play against Inter Miami CF on Saturday, March 4th (7:30 p.m. ET / Apple TV).
Philadelphia Union 4 - Columbus Crew 1
Subaru Park (Chester, PA)
Saturday, February 25, 2023
TODAY’S MATCH INFO
Referee: Lukasz Szpala
Assistant Referees: Adam Wienckowski, Diego Blas
Fourth Official: Ian McKay
VAR: Kevin Stott
Ast. VAR: Jozef Batko
Weather: 34 degrees and mostly cloudy.
CLB – Jakob Glesnes (OG ) 28’
PHI – Dániel Gazdag (PK) 45+3’
PHI – Julián Carranza (Bedoya, Gazdag) 52’
PHI – Dániel Gazdag (PK) 72’
PHI – Julián Carranza (Torres, Gazdag) 80’
CLB – Aidan Morris (caution) 39’
CLB – Will Sands (caution) 43’
PHI – Leon Flach (caution) 47’
CLB – Cucho Hernández (caution) 56’
CLB – Lucas Zelarayán (caution) 58’
CLB – Milos Degenek (caution) 71’
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Kai Wagner, Jack Elliott, Jakob Glesnes, Olivier Mbaizo; Jose Martinez, Leon Flach (Jack McGlynn 89’), Alejandro Bedoya (Andres Perea 90+3’) , Dániel Gazdag; Mikael Uhre (Joaquín Torres 79’), Julián Carranza (Quinn Sullivan 90+3’).
Substitutes not used: Holden Trent, Matt Real, Nathan Harriel, Damion Lowe, Jesus Bueno.
Columbus Crew: Patrick Schulte, Milos Degenek, Philip Quinton, Steven Moreira, Darlington Nagbe, Aidan Morris (Jacen Russel-Rowe 76’), William Sands (Luis Diaz 46’), Mohamed Farsi ( Yaw Yeboah 76’), Cucho Hernández, Alexandru Matan (Sean Zawadzki 86’), Lucas Zelarayán (Kevin Molino 86’)
Substitutes not used: Evan Bush, Isaiah Parente, Maximilian Arfsten, Jake Morris.
- Scoring a brace tonight, midfielder Dániel Gazdag became the only player in MLS to produce seven games with at least one goal and one assist since the start of 2022.
- The Union have won 12 straight home MLS matches (including playoffs), the second longest home winning streak in league history.
- The Union are currently on a 24 game home unbeaten streak, dating back to September 3, 2021.
- Forward Julián Carranza and midfielder Dániel Gazdag registered two goals each in tonight’s win over Columbus.
- Midfielder Dániel Gazdag registered two assists.
- Captain Alejandro Bedoya registered an assist on his 180th MLS regular season career start.
- Midfielder Joaquín Torres assisted Julián Carranza in his debut match for the club.