The 2022 MLS Regular Season has come to an end and we decided to look back at all the amazing moments Philadelphia Union had on their route to a record breaking regular season. with so much history happening for the Boys in Blue, we wanted to highlight some of the top records the squad has set as they prepare for a deep run in the postseason.
March 19 | Union at New York City FC (W, 2-0)
The fourth match of year saw the Boys in Blue go into Yankee Stadium and emerge with a victory for the first time in club history. Team captain Alejandro Bedoya opened the scoring in the 12th minute and Daniel Gazdag added goal in the 33rd minute to give the Union a key victory.
July 8 | Union vs. D.C. United (W, 7-0)
- The Union scored five goals in the first half for the first time in their history, becoming only the fifth club to do so in MLS regular season play.
- Alejandro Bedoya scored a brace to earn his 20th and 21st career goals for the club, making him the ninth Union player all-time to score at least 20 goals for the club and the third player to score 20 goals and notch 20 assists.
- Forward Julian Carranza earned his first career hat trick. Carranza’s performance marks the fifth hat trick in club history.
- The Union scored seven goals in an MLS match for the first time in team history, tying the largest margin of victory in MLS history with a seven-goal differential.
July 16 | Union vs. New England Revolution (W, 2-1)
- Defender Kai Wagner registered his 27th assist with the Union, moving him to third place all-time in Union history, making him the first Union defender to record 10 assists in a single MLS season.
July 30 | Union vs. Houston Dynamo (W, 6-0)
- The Union became the first team in MLS history to score at least six goals in multiple home games in a single season and first team in MLS history to record multiple wins by six goals in a single season.
- With a hat trick of assists, Alejandro Bedoya has 10 goal contributions on the season (five goals, five assists), the first time he has done so in his career. He also tied the Union record for most assists in a game.
- Defender Kai Wagner made his 100th regular season appearance for the Union. Wagner is the 13th player in club history to reach the century mark for appearances.
- Homegrown midfielder Jack McGlynn scored his first MLS goal and became the third-youngest player in MLS history to score off ofa direct free kick since 2003.
August 13 | Union vs. Chicago Fire FC (W, 4-1)
- Defender Kai Wagner made his 100th regular season start for the Union, becoming just the sixth defender in club history to reach the century mark for starts.
August 20 | Union at D.C. United (W, 6-0)
- Union are the second team in MLS history to score 6+ goals in two matches against a single opponent in a single season.
- With his hat trick, forward Julián Carranza becomes the second player in MLS history to score two hat tricks against the same team in a single season.
- The Union outscored D.C. United, 13-0, in two meetings this season, the largest goal difference by one team against another in a single MLS regular season.
August 27 | Union vs. Colorado Rapids (W, 6-0)
- Midfielder Daniel Gazdag scored his 14th, 15th, and 16th goals of the season. With his first career hat trick, he is now tied for second most goals in MLS and is tied with former Union forward CJ Sapong for most goals in a single MLS season for the Union.
- With his assists tonight, defender Kai Wagner is now tied for second in club history in assists with 29.
- Forward Cory Burke scored his 25th MLS goal for the Union, putting him at fifth place all-time in Union scoring history.
- With the hat trick, Gazdag contributed to 14 goals since the beginning of July (Nine goals, five assists), the most in MLS over the last two months.
- The Union reach 25 goals in their last five home matches, the most in a five-match span of home matches in MLS history.
- The Union became the first team in MLS history to have four wins by six or more goals by any team in MLS history.
August 31 | Union vs. Atlanta United FC (W, 4-1)
- Daniel Gazdag continued his impressive scoring streak, becoming the club's top scorer in a single season with his 17th goal in the 67th minute.
- The 2022 Union broke their single-season scoring record in first half-stoppage time on a goal from Mikael Uhre for goal No. 58. The previous mark of 25 was set in 2019.
- The three points set a new club record for the most points in a single season, breaking the mark from the 2019 side as well.
- Homegrown Nathan Harriel had a double accomplishment in second half stoppage time, bagging his first MLS goal. The tap in also set a new MLS mark as it was the Union's 16th goal in a three-game stretch, topping the 15 set by the 1998 LA Galaxy.
September 3 | Union at New York Red Bulls (W, 2-0)
- The Union set a new record for most wins in a single season in club history with 17.
- The Union are the first team in MLS to earn 60 points this season, setting a club record for most points in a single season.
- The Union have outscored opponents by 17 (18-1) in their last four matches, the largest goal difference in a four-match span in MLS history.
- Goalkeeper Andre Blake posted his 13th clean sheet of the season, a career and club record. He is now tied for first in clean sheets this season.
September 10 | Union vs. Orlando City SC (W, 5-1)
- Midfielder Daniel Gazdag scores again with a finish from the penalty spot. The midfielder pushes his scoring streak to six consecutive home MLS matches and five straight overall, the first time a player has done so in club history. The goal makes Gazdag sixth all-time in goals scored in Union history and third in goals in MLS this season.
- Defender Kai Wagner adds a pair of assists to become the first defender in MLS history to record 15 assists in a single regular season
- The Union are the second team in MLS history to score at least four goals in five straight home matches (LAFC - 2019). Philadelphia has now scored 23 goals in its last five matches, three more than any other team has scored in a five-match span in MLS history.
- The Union is currently on a 21 regular season match win streak at home and undefeated at home this season (11W-0L-5D).
- Captain Alejandro Bedoya scored his sixth goal of the season, tied for fifth in all-time goals scored in Union history.
- Forward Mikael Uhre scored his 12th goal of the season tonight, he has now scored in three consecutive matches.
October 9 | Union vs. Toronto FC (W, 4-0)
- Philadelphia Union earn the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference for the Audi 2022 MLS Cup Playoffs.
- Midfielder Daniel Gazdag scores his second hat trick of the season to become the third player in club history to multiple hat tricks during his Union career. Gazdag's opening goal was his 20th goal and registered his 10th assist of the season and became the sixth player in MLS history with at least 20 goals and 10 assists in a single season. The midfielder finishes the season with 22 goals, a new club record and just one shy of the 2022 Golden Boot Award.
- With 26 goals conceded, the Union have set a new record for the fewest goals allowed in a season.
- With a 12-5-0 record, the Union were the only team to remain unbeaten at home this season.
- With 72 goals scored this season the Union broke their previous record of 58 in 2019.
- Goalkeeper Andre Blake registered his 15th clean sheet, ending the season with the most clean sheets in the league.
- Three players started all 34 games this season (Andre Blake, Daniel Gazdag, Jakob Glesnes), the first team to have three players start 34 games in a regular season since the Union in 2019 (Jack Elliott, Ray Gaddis, Haris Medunjanin)
- The Union produced the second-best defensive season in MLS history at 0.76 goals conceded per game.
- The Union scored 49 home goals this season, tying the MLS record for most home goals in a single season.