Jakob Glesnes is Philadelphia Union's newest defensive option. Here are a few facts about the young Norwegian.
- Glesnes is 25 years old and will turn 26 in late March. His arrival to the City of Brotherly Love, Philadelphia Union will be his first club outside of his home country of Norway.
- While he is young, he brings leadership as the captain of Strømsgodset since 2018. Since his arrival in 2016, the defender appeared in 113 matches contributing three goals and seven assists for the club. Additionally, he played in nine NM-Cup matches where he had two goals and two assists.
- Glesnes will wear the Blue and Gold No. 5, becoming the sixth player in Union history to don the kit number. Previous Union players to wear No. 5 include: Olivier Mbaizo (2018-19), Oguchi Oneyew (2016-17), Vincent Nogueira (2013-16), Greg Jordan (2011-13) and Carlos Valdes (2010-11).
- The defender event brings international experience, making his for the Norway U-21 National Team debut on October 7, 2016 against Switzerland. Last October, he was called up to represent the senior Norway Men’s National Team.
- Off the pitch, Glesnes makes his mark in the community too and is highly committed to growing youth soccer. He was named Norwegian soccer’s Role Model of the Year and Stromsgodset’s Community Player of the Year in 2017 for his work with community youth soccer program, Blue Hour.