Match Recap: Philadelphia Union 3, D.C. United 1
Union win ninth home match of the season; Kacper Przybylko scores team-leading 12th goal
CHESTER, Pa. (August 24, 2019) – The Philadelphia Union earned three points at home against D.C. United on Saturday evening in front of their biggest crowd of the season, a sell-out 18,781. Kacper Przybylko scored his team-leading 12th goal of the season as well as adding two assists. Ilsinho scored his fifth goal of the season, and fourth career goal against D.C., the most he has against any MLS team. Brenden Aaronson scored his second career MLS goal. The Union return to action next weekend at Talen Energy Stadium on Saturday, August 31 vs. Atlanta United (7:30 p.m. ET / PHL17).
Philadelphia Union 3 – D.C. United 1
Talen Energy Stadium (Chester, PA)
Sunday, August 24, 2019
Referee: Christopher Penso
Assistant Referees: Philippe Briere, Gianni Facchini
Fourth Official: Elijio Arreguin
VAR: Jose Carlos Rivero
Weather: 72 degrees and partly cloudy
PHI – Kacper Przybylko (Kai Wagner, Brenden Aaronson) 5’
PHI – Brenden Aaronson (Kacper Przybylko) 16’
PHI – Ilsinho (Kacper Przybylko) 36’
DC– Luciano Acosta, 56’
DC – Paul Arriola (caution) 21’
PHI – Alejandro Bedoya (caution) 73’
DC – Leonardo Jara (caution) 90+3’
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Raymon Gaddis, Jack Elliott, Mark McKenzie, Kai Wagner; Alejandro Bedoya, Haris Medunjanin; Ilsinho (Marco Fabian, 70’), Jamiro Monteiro (Warren Creavalle, 87’), Brenden Aaronson (Fafa Picault, 74’); Kacper Przybylko
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; RJ Allen, Aurelien Collin, Andrew Wooten
D.C. United: Bill Hamid; Leonardo Jara, Steven Birnbaum, Frederic Brillant, Joseph Mora; Felipe (Lucas Rodriguez, 79’) , Junior Moreno; Paul Arriola (Emmanuel Boateng, 69), Luciano Acosta, Ulises Segura; Ola Kamara ( Quincy Amarikwa, 64’)
Substitutes not used: Chris Seitz; Marquinhos Pedroso, Donovan Pines, Gordon Wild
- Tonight’s crowd of 18,781 was the largest of the season at Talen Energy Stadium, and the fifth sellout of the season … it is the 50th overall regular-season sellout at Talen Energy Stadium for a Union match … five sellouts in a single season is the most for Philadelphia since 2014, when the club had seven … in 2019, the Union are undefeated (3-0-2) when playing in front of a sellout crowd at home.
- With 14 wins on the season, the Union are now one shy of tying their all-time single-season wins record (15, set in 2018) … the Union’s nine home wins also ties their output from 2018 and is one behind the 10 from 2017 for the club record.
- The Union now have 51 goals on the season, tying the 2014 edition of the team and one behind the 2016 club (52) for the most the team has ever scored in a single season.
- Ray Gaddis made his 200th appearance with the Union,.. he becomes one of 47 active MLS players with at least 200 regular-season appearances ... of that group, only nine others have spent the entirety of their MLS careers with one club (Matt Besler, Graham Zusi, Diego Chara, Tony Beltran, Diego Fagundez, Matt Hedges, Roger Espinoza, Andrew Farrell, Diego Valeri).
- Kacper Przybylko scored his team-leading 12th goal of the season… Since K Przybylko’s first MLS goal, on April 27 at Vancouver, and as of the end of tonight’s match, only one other MLS player has scored more goals, not including penalties … Przybylko’s 12 non-penalty tallies have been bested by only Atlanta’s Josef Martinez (16) … NYCFC’s Heber is equal with Przybylko at 12 goals since 4/27.
- Ilsinho scored his 19th career MLS goal and fifth of the season…the goal was his fourth career vs. D.C. United, the most he’s scored against a single MLS team.
- In his 20th start for the Union, Brenden Aaronson scored his second goal and added his second assist of the season.
- Kai Wagner recorded his seventh helper of the season.
- Mark McKenzie earned his first start of the 2019 season.
The Union return to action back home, August 31 vs. Atlanta United (7:30 p.m. ET / PHL17).