New York, NY. (November 7, 2021) – The Philadelphia Union finished out the Major League Soccer regular season at second place in the Eastern Conference with a 1-1 draw on the road against New York City FC. Kacper Przybylko opened the scoring for the Union in the 26th minute, tapping in a Leon pass on the goal line. Olivier Mbaizo provided the initial cross to Flach, making it his fourth assist of the MLS season. The goal is Przybylko’s 12th goal of the season and his 35th career MLS goal. The assist is Flach’s third of the season. The Union maintained possession against the ten man New York City, keeping 56% of possession at half. They also outshot the hosts 6-4. New York City took control of the second half, a header from Valentin Castellanos in the 53rd minute drawing it level.
The second seed Union will host seventh seed New York Red Bulls in the first round of the Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs at Subaru Park (time and date TBD). This is the club’s fourth consecutive season in the playoffs, having reached the postseason five out of the last six seasons.
Philadelphia Union 1 – New York City FC 1
Yankee Stadium (New York, NY)
Sunday, November 7, 2021
TODAY’S MATCH INFO
Referee: Guido Gonzales Jr
Assistant Referees: Jose Da Silva, Ryan Graves
Fourth Official: Ismir Pekmic
VAR: Chris Penso
Ast. VAR: Gjovalin Bori
Weather: 54 degrees and partly cloudy
PHI – Kacper Przybylko (Flach) 26’
NYC – Valentin Castellanos (Moralez) 53’
NYC – Gedion Zelalem (Ejection) 21’
PHI – Jakob Glesnes (Caution) 25’
PHI – Kai Wagner (Caution) 31’
PHI – Jose Martinez (Caution) 50’
NYC – Jesus Medina (Caution) 82
PHI – Alejandro Bedoya (Caution) 85’
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Kai Wagner, Jakob Glesnes, Jack Elliott, Olivier Mbaizo; Jose Martinez, Leon Flach (Jack McGlynn 66’), Alejandro Bedoya; Jamiro Monteiro (Jesus Bueno 90+3’), Daniel Gazdag (Paxten Aaronson 66’); Kacper Przybylko (Cory Burke 81’).
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; Alvas Powell, Nathan Harriel, Stuart Findlay, Quinn Sullivan.
New York City FC: Sean Johnson; Malte Amundsen, Alexander Callens, Maxime Chanot, James Sands; Gedion Zelalem, Alfredo Morales; Santiago Rodriguez (Tayvon Gray 89’), Maximiliano Moralez, Jesus Medina; Valentin Castellanos.
Substitutes not used: Luis Barraza, Gudmundur Thorarinsson, Andres Jasson, Talles Mango, Thiago Andrade, Christopher Gloster, Vuk Latinovich, Tony Rocha.
- Union finished second place in the Eastern Conference for the 2021 Major League Soccer regular season and will host seventh place New York Red Bulls at home in the first round of the Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs. This is the club’s fourth consecutive season in the playoffs, having reached the postseason five out of the last six seasons.
- Kacper Przybylko scored his 12th goal of the MLS Season, his 35th of his career. He is one shy of tying C.J. Sapong for second most in Union history.
- Leon Flach recorded his third assist of the MLS Season.
- Defender Oliver Mbaizo registered his fourth assist of the season.
- Jakob Glesnes became the 6th field player in club history to play every minute of the regular season. Glesnes joins Sebastien Le Toux (2011), Keegan Rosenberry (2016), Auston Trusty (2018), Jack Elliott (2019) and Haris Medunjanin (2019).
- Defender Kai Wagner made his 75th start for the Boys in Blue.
- Midfielder Jamiro Monteiro earned his 70th start for the Union. The start also marks his 75th MLS appearance for the club.