The Philadelphia Union defeated Orlando City SC 1-0 on Saturday night at Exploria Stadium. With the win, the Union remain in first place in the Eastern Conference with 42 points. Midfielder Daniel Gazdag opened the scoring with his team-leading tenth goal of the season in the 39th minute on a right footed shot from very close range to the high center of the goal, assisted by Jakob Glesnes and Kai Wagner following a corner. With his goal tonight, Gazdag became the ninth player in Union history to reach double digit goals in a season. Defender Kai Wagner recorded his 11th assist of the season on Gazdag’s goal, tying him for the MLS lead in assists this season. Goalkeeper Andre Blake recorded a save to earn his ninth clean sheet of the season and help the Union win their fourth straight match.The Union will return home to face Houston Dynamo FC at Subaru Park on Saturday, July 30th (7:30 p.m. ET / PHL17).Orlando City SC 0 – Philadelphia Union 1Exploria Stadium (Orlando, FL)Saturday, July 23, 2022
TODAY’S MATCH INFO
Referee: Alex Chilowicz
Assistant Referees: Corey Parker, Jason White
Fourth Official: Sergii Demianchuk
VAR: Jair Marrufo
Ast. VAR: Jeff Muschik
Weather: 81 degrees and sunny.
PHI – Daniel Gazdag (Glesnes, Wagner) 39’
PHI – Jose Martinez (caution) 8’
ORL – Ercan Kara (caution) 31’
ORL – Joao Mountinho (caution) 37’
PHI – Julian Carranza (caution) 44’
ORL – Cesar Araujo (caution) 63’
Philadelphia Union: Andre Blake; Kai Wagner, Jack Elliott, Jakob Glesnes, Olivier Mbaizo; Jose Martinez (Paxten Aaronson 68’), Leon Flach, Jack McGlynn, Daniel Gazdag; Mikael Uhre (Cory Burke 59’ (Quinn Sullivan 84’)), Julian Carranza (Chris Donovan 90’).
Substitutes not used: Joe Bendik; Matt Real, Nathan Harriel, Brandan Craig, Jesus Bueno.
Orlando City SC: Pedro Gallese; Ruan (Tesho Akindele 75’), Rodrigo Schlegel, Joao Moutinho (Antonio Carlos 81’), Robin Jansson; Facundo Torres, Andres Perea (Alexandre Pato 61’), Cesar Araujo, Jake Mulraney (Benji Michel 46’); Mauricio Perevra (Junior Urso 75’); Ercan Kara (Jack Lynn 89’).
Substitutes not used: Adam Grinwis; Kyle Smith, Michael Halliday.
- Midfielder Daniel Gazdag scored his team-leading 10th goal of the season to become the ninth different player in Union history to reach double digit goals in a season. This is the 12th time that a Union player has scored double digit goals in a season.
- Defender Kai Wagner recorded his 11th assist of the season, tying him for the MLS lead in assists this season.
- The Union earned their fourth straight victory to remain in first place in the Eastern Conference with 42 points.
- With a save in tonight’s match, goalkeeper Andre Blake registered his ninth clean sheet of the season and is tied for second most in the league.
- Defender Jakob Glesnes registered his second assist of the season.
The Union will return home to face Houston Dynamo FC at Subaru Park on Saturday, July 30th (7:30 p.m. ET / PHL17).