CJ Sapong's one-goal, two-assist performance on Wednesday against Columbus was noteworthy in a few different ways. Taking a quick look at a list of fast facts about Sapong's Man of the Match performance reveals that Sapong:
- Set a new single-season career high in goals for a season (10)
- Tied his single-season career high for assists in a season (five, also set during his rookie season in 2011 with Sporting KC)
- Recorded his first-ever multi-assist game in Major League Soccer
- Totaled three combined goals/assists for the second-ever time in MLS (joining his hat trick effort against the Red Bulls on May 6 of this year)
- Joined the Union's "double-double" club as its third-ever member
The first four speak for themselves, but what about the last bullet? Informally, the "double-double" club is the list of all Union players to register at least 10 career goals and at least 10 career assists for the Blue and Gold. By getting two helpers on Wednesday, Sapong cracked the double-digit barrier in that category. He now has 26 goals and 11 assists for the Union, becoming the third player in team history to reach those milestones.
Sapong is joined in the club by Sebastien Le Toux (50 goals, 50 assists) and current teammate Chris Pontius (12 goals, 12 assists), who also hit the requisite numbers earlier this season.
Which of Sapong's other teammates may also join him in the "double-double" club in the near future? Two other players are a combined seven goals/assists away from membership: Fabian Herbers is six goals and one assist away, while Roland Alberg is seven helpers away.
While Sapong's place in Union history is being cemented with each passing match, his place in MLS should not go unnoticed either: his 26 goals and 11 assists since joining the Union in 2015 are numbers matched by only seven other players across the entire league over that timespan. Can you name them?
Here's the answer:
|Kei Kamara||CLB, NE||39||14|
Elite company, to be sure. Between the Union's "double-double" club and this list of MLS players, Sapong continues to gather career milestones and accolades due to his play for Philadelphia.