Haris Medunjanin Free Kick

Richie Marquez scores, Haris Medunjanin earns assist as Union fall to Portland Timbers 3-1

Philadelphia Union dropped a 3-1 home decision to Portland Timbers Saturday night at Talen Energy Stadium in front of a crowd of 15,437. The Union will continue their three-match homestand this coming Friday when they host NYCFC on ESPN.

The contest started with both clubs trading chances in the first 20 minutes. The Union had their best opportunity when CJ Sapong sent a nifty backheel pass to Fabinho in the box. Fabinho’s attempt was denied by Portland goalkeeper Jake Gleeson to keep the match scoreless.

Philadelphia struck first in the first half thanks to the aerial attack from Richie Marquez. After the Union were awarded a corner-kick, Philadelphia’s Haris Medunjanin sent in a ball that found the head of Marquez that snuck just inside the post to give Philadelphia the 1-0 lead in the 26th minute.  

For Medunjanin, his assist was his second of the season. Medunjanin leads all of Major League Soccer in chances created with 16 after registering three tonight. Marquez’s goal was his first of the season and third of his career.

Portland found the equalizing goal in the 32nd minute as Darlington Nagbe took a shot from beyond the 18. Nagbe sent a shot that crept through the legs of Marquez who attempted to deflect the shot. The attempt was just outside of the reach from 2016 Goalkeeper of the Year Andre Blake and found the back of the net to tie the match at one.

The match remained tied at one apiece after the first 45. Portland was able to grab the lead in the second half at the 66th minute mark after a restart. Diego Valeri sent a ball into the box and Portland’s Roy Miller got a slight touch on the ball which then deflected off of Marquez and inside the post to give Portland the 2-1 lead.

The Timbers were able to ice the match in the dying moments after earning a penalty kick in the 85th minute. Portland’s Darren Mattocks found possession of the ball behind the Union defense with just Blake to beat. Blake came out of the shadow of his net to make a defensive stop, but Blake got just enough of Mattocks’ foot and Portland was awarded the penalty kick.

After the dust settled, Portland’s Fanendo Adi stepped up to the penalty spot and recorded the Timbers third and final goal of the evening. After six plus minutes of stoppage time the final whistle blew and the Union fell to Portland 3-1.

The Union will be back in action this Friday when they host Eastern Conference rival New York City FC on Friday night. Kick-off at Talen Energy Stadium for that match is set for 7 p.m. and will be televised nationally on ESPN.

Download the FREE MLS App

Follow the Union's scores, updates, highlights, analysis and more.