Jack vs. NE
Greg Carroccio

Recap: Union complete comeback, defeat New England 2-1

In another exciting finish at PPL Park, the Philadelphia Union came back from an early deficit to defeat the New England Revolution by a score of 2-1 in front of a sell-out crowd. The Union fell behind on Saer Sene’s 12th-minute goal, but a Freddy Adu penalty kick in the 59th minute and a Jack McInerney header just before stoppage time gave the home team the win and three important points in the conference standings.

With the victory, the Union (7-10-2) are now tied for 8th place in the East with 23 points and four wins in their last five MLS games. New England (6-10-5) remain at 23 points and are winless in four straight.

The Revolution took the lead early, when a blast from forward Saer Sene knuckled nearly thirty yards to the Union goal. An outstretched Zac MacMath was able to get a hand on the shot, but the ball glanced off the keeper and into the roof of the net.

Forward Antoine Hoppenot—who notched his first career MLS start tonight—gave the New England defense problems, nearly connecting on the end of several through balls and drawing two yellow cards on Revolution defenders in the first half. Hoppenot and the Union managed to outshoot the visitors 7-4, but couldn't get on the scoreboard and went to the locker room trailing by a goal.

New England came out firing in the second stanza, but failed to capitalize on numerous chances to extend their lead, which came back to haunt Jay Heaps' side in the later stages. In the early minutes of the second half, Union defender Sheanon Williams blocked two dangerous attempts from first-half goal-scorer Sene, and Sene ripped another hard shot from distance that flew just wide of MacMath’s goal, keeping the score 1-0.

Philadelphia got the equalizer in the 59th-minute in the form of a Freddy Adu penalty kick, after forward Jack McInerney made a darting run towards the box to get on the end of a through ball and was tripped up by Revolution defender Kevin Alston at the edge of the area. Adu drilled the penalty just past the hands of Revolution goalie Matt Reis, who guessed correctly but couldn’t stop Adu’s strike.

McInerney was rewarded for his efforts with a goal of his own, a decisive header that completed the first Union comeback win of the 2012 campaign. In the 90th minute, defender Sheanon Williams took a pass from Brian Carroll and knocked in a perfect cross to the back post. McInerney rose above defender Alston and headed the ball under Reis and over the line for the game-winner.

The Union return to action on Saturday when they head to Stade Saputo to take on 7th-place Montreal Impact (7:30 p.m., TCN) for the second time in three weeks.

WATCH: Match highlights


Download the FREE MLS App

Follow the Union's scores, updates, highlights, analysis and more.